Ever since the DOJ announced their formal investigation into the City of Albuquerque and their police department in November 2012, and even before, we've been told over and over how fantastic all things are with the city. We've heard from Richard "RJ" Berry how great the city's operations are. He told us how great the city's economy is and that we've "turned the corner." He told us that APD is one of the best departments in the country. Richard "RJ" Berry told us he has some of the best advisers money can buy. He told us how crime is at an all time low. He told us how persons responsible for crimes and waster in APD will be held responsible.
But we know these are all lies. And now, in the days following the disgusting "wilding" murder of two transients by three of the city's teenagers, the DOJ released a "Statement of Principles" report summarizing some agreements between DOJ and the city of Albuquerque.
See it here: http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2014/July/14-crt-777.html
What is so stunning in this report is how, so much is now agreed upon by the city and their confirming of lies by Richard "RJ" Berry. Among the statement's highlights:
1. APD has systemic issues and problems.
2. APD's problems require systemic reform.
3. APD's problems include: use of force policies, interaction with persons with mental disabilities policies, tactical unit policies, IA policies, managements and supervision policies, recruitment policies, and community engagement policies.
4. APD's problems require urgent attention.
5. The agreement requires filing it in court and having it entered as a court order.
Clearly if Richard "RJ" Berry and company will lie about what is obviously a failed police department, isn't it likely he'll lie about anything? Is it not time to fully review both the record of Berry and of course Susana Martinez's record. In fact, it seems like everything either of these two politicos have said is just a lie. You know, like Richard "RJ" Berry keeping Ray Schultz as chief and praising him as a great chief.
We at the Eye ask.....Why?