Isn't RoundRock, Texas in for a surprise!
“There are many aspects of this call which are extremely troubling. In consultation with the Mayor, I have directed that Chief Banks conduct an immediate and thorough internal affairs investigation in order to get to the bottom of this case as quickly as possible. If it is determined by the internal affairs investigation that officers involved did not respond in accordance with proper procedures, swift action will be taken to hold those individuals accountable.”
Huh, maybe Perry would be better served having the city's Inspector General investigate this mess since we know Perry is in the middle of it? Are we really to believe that these people, who cite statistics to the tenth-percent are now suddenly ignorant of their own department's failures? What happened with no decrease in service, decreased demand for officers, and decreased incidents of crime?
Oh right, now that it involves something that is damaging, it's all about what we don't know.
Please. We at the Eye have some very serious questions. Questions that will shed light on whether the city's failure to provide public safety services for this little boy was because of incompetence or coverup.
1. When did Banks / Perry / Berry first know about the June 22 2013 event? Omaree died on December 27 2013. Did it really take 40 days for someone who isn't the Chief of Police to order an IA investigation? And really, we are to believe they didn't run calls for service at the house on Commanche NE?
2. Why wasn't this investigation ordered back in December 2013 when the investigation into Omaree's death exposed it?
3. When did Banks / Perry / Berry know about the June 22 call and if KOAT had not exposed the June 22 2013 incident, would there have been an Internal Affairs investigation?
4. Banks is the Chief, so why is it that Perry / Berry are publicly saying "upon consultation" they ordered the Internal Affairs Investigation now, February 4, 2014. It seems Perry / Berry are trying to find political cover by saying they are now stepping in and doing Banks job. Why didn't Banks order the investigation back in December 2013? Why did Banks stonewall KOAT?
5. Is this the reason Banks stonewalled KOAT, for over a month, when they asked him for comments on Omaree Varela? Was Banks hoping this would not come out until after he left for Round Rock? Will Round Rock reconsider their choice?
6. Will Berry finally hold someone high up at APD accountable for the debacle APD has become and dismiss Banks? Will Berry hold Perry accountable and dismiss him? Perry appears on TV for everything and seems to run the city. Does Berry believe the buck stops with Perry and Banks and fire them? This stinks of cover up and no accountability. Berry refused to fire Schultz all through the Costales $1,000,000 lawsuit, the Ellis $8,000,000 lawsuit, the DoJ investigation, the Nature at Play department, the antics of Banks / Perry / Wilham / White at the Mary Han crime scene etc. Will Berry finally decide to take control as mayor and fire the guys at the top, thereby showing us he can hold people accountable?
7. Will Berry come out of his bunker and see his shadow (his political career disappearing) and hide? Or will Berry finally step forward and take control of this city and police department, hold Banks and Perry accountable?
8. Perry lambasted these officers for better having a "damn good" reason for not filing a report at the June 22 call, is Perry going to hold Banks to that same standard for high profile incidents where Banks tampered with crime scenes and/or failed to write reports?
At the same time KOAT was reporting more on Omaree at 10 pm, KRQE was coming with this Larry Barker story. A pretty good story about APD employees violating the law, knowingly approved by the brass at APD.
At 6:30 minutes into this video Banks takes responsibility for the DUI Seizure Unit not following the law. Gee thanks, (sarcasm). Does Banks feel the same way about Omaree? Does Banks feel the same way about how APD has handled all calls related to Omaree? Better yet, does Richard Berry, that invisible mayor of Albuquerque feel that Banks / Perry are responsible? Will Berry come out publicly and hold Banks / Perry responsible for how poorly they have run the city and police department? Perry recently tossed Schultz under the bus, and that might be the easy thing for Berry to do now that Schultz is gone. Schultz was running the place (although out of town) during at least two Omaree incidents. But Banks / Perry were the ones here when Omaree died. They were here when it came that murder investigation exposed June 22 2013 incident. Yet no IA investigation until February 4, 2014!
Watch what happens tomorrow. All we will hear from Banks / Berry / Perry will be silence. They will not have further comments. They will be in church praying this goes away.
Could it get any worse????