I want to address the Eyes points of criticism:
1. Ray did not work for me when I was CPSO. I was not in the chain of command but acted as a liaison between Chief, Mayor and the City Council. Ray as a Department Head reported to Chief Administrative Officer Ed Admas and the Mayor. Chavez and CAO Adams made it clear that Ray did not report to me. Berry changed that when he hired Darren White.
2. I did not "choose to keep" Schultz. Mayor Chavez hired Schultz and I advised Chavez against it at the time. Ray was my third choice, and would always be my very last choice. I was CPSO for only 18 months
3. Frivilous and fruitless issues: When I was a city Councillor, I was the sponsor of the public safety tax that gave police and fire straight across the board 4-6% salary increases without negotiating. I sponsored 2 out of 3 of the quality of life tax bills that built the science museum, the aquarium, the botonical gardens and the balloon museum. I sponsored the creation of the Internal Audit Department, the creation of the Independent Review or Independent Council for police, the General Council for police and the funding for a full time psychologist for APD.
5. No media "hammered" me at press conference and no one asked me why I did not deal with or get rid of Schultz, but I did go on record to get rid of him.
6 The Eye said I did not make corrections when had the chance: totally wrong. I demanded the detectives and inspectors removed from CNAU and I ordered dramatic changes to SOP. I also turned around 911 with a complete reorganization making 30 hires and implementing salary adjustments and a training progam.
7. Not a single person has asked me NOT to run, including all the other potential candidates who I have made clear that I am running.
8. As far as not being successful at any positions I held, I built the Strike Force from the ground up and it had a huge impact on cleaning up the City.
9. As far as acting as a spoiler and dividing the Democrat vote, I have a strong base of support within the party by virtue of being a Ward Chair, being on the State Central Committee and being elected to go this year the Demo National Convention.
There were two major points that I would add to my original response to the Eye":
10. Not being successful at any position I held: As a Deputy City Attorney, I built the Safe City Strike Force from the ground up and we closed down crack houses, meth labs and I initiated nuisance actions against motels along central and violent bars. I negotiated the tear down of 8 motels and 4 violent bars that were magnets for crime. I personally sued over 300 graffiti vandals, gang members and their parents and collected approximately $180,000 in damages. I also established and set up the Metro Court arraignment program and hired and managed the para-legals and the attorneys that process 35,000 to 40,000 traffic cases a year. I also managed the DWI Vehicle Forfeiture unit in the City Attorneys office and the last year I was the manager it seized more vehicles in court than ever before or since collecting $1.5 million from the sale of confiscated DWI cars.
11. The Eye said there were a number of officer involve shooting that occurred when I was Chief Public Safety Officer. I was CPSO for only 18 months, the same amount of time Darren White was CPSO, and I believe there were only 2 or 3 shootings, while White had 24 shootings
Politics, politics, politics...As a politician Mr. Dinelli has run for several offices, several times, he should be open to and welcome any criticism or maybe the truth?
NOTE: Dinelli failed at his last attempt for Mayor.
We have received miltiple requests for the Eye to post the chart shown. Below is the City of Albuquerque's organizational chart which SHOWS that Ray Schultz ANSWERED to Mr. Dinelli.