LAST PERSON STANDING
In essence the negotiations are over. Not that there ever were any negotiations because in dealing with Berry/Perry, there are no negotiations. There is only their way. And as we've seen with the fire and police unions, the Perry plays only to win. So while Berry went on the news Friday touting how the 500+ clerical members of AFSCME are getting a 3% raise, let's take a look at what they are losing. And these incidentally are the things our eyes at AFSCME tell us were the sticking points that the City refused to negotiate on:
1. A 1 year contract as desired by the City as opposed to the 3 year contract desired by AFSCME. Why bother securing a multi-year contract so that you can plan the city's budget for multiple years when you can pay your contract union buster John Martinez another several hundred thousand dollars next year?
2. Removal of the "evergreen" clause as opposed to keeping it. Why bother respecting to the terms of an agreed upon contract when it expires when the City can just call it void and do whatever it wants?
3. Denial of any binding arbitration as opposed to respecting it. Why bother risking getting called on the city's deceitful and deceptive negotiation tactics with a binding third-party?
and of the course the big deal breaker:
4. Require all union members contribute to their local union reps rather than have them compensated by the city for "union time".
But like all things Berry/Perry, there are a lot of hidden details that are conveniently omitted from their press parties. For instance:
5. Disciplinary action my now initiate when management believes such action is necessary. Who needs any due process when you got Rob Perry deciding such matters. (184.108.40.206)
6. Investigation into employee misconduct will in many cases be conducted without any disclosure to the target employee. (24.2.1)
7. Denial of any appeals where the disciplined employee may be "made whole". (25.1.5)
And of course we have the notion that under Mr. "Thug Life" Perry, the city can just arbitrarily implement such changes despite their being a collective bargaining agent for these 500 employees. This should be interesting....
The Piercing Truth
This is right from the dictionary and seems to describe Albuquerque, Berry and Schultz. Fascism (f ash ,izem) noun An authoritarian right wing system of government and/or social organization. (in general use) extreme right wing, authoritarian, chauvinistic and/or intolerant views or practices. Fascism tends to include a belief in the supremacy of one group over another, national, ethnic, especially social strata or monetarily; a contempt for democracy, an insistence on obedience to a powerful leader, and a strong demagogic approach. Compliments of one of our Eyes